The sixth edition of this bestselling textbook has been substantially revised and updated to provide a comprehensive introduction to bilingualism and bilingual education in the 21st century. Written in a compact and clear style, the book covers all the crucial issues in bilingualism at individual, group and societal levels. Updates to the new edition include:
• Greater attention to technological advances and global trends impacting and impacted by bilingualism.
• New trends and issues in bilingual education, including recent research on the effectiveness of different types of bilingual education.
• Issues in the assessment of bilinguals.
• The latest thinking on identity and bilingualism.
• Recent developments in brain imaging research.
• Discussion of the latest terms in bilingualism research including dynamic bilingualism, translanguaging, transliteracy and superdiversity, in addition to an enhanced look at multilingualism.
Students and instructors will benefit from new features including:
• A comprehensive glossary.
• A condensed and updated bibliography.
• Updated international examples of policy, research and practice.
• The addition of web resources and discussion questions.
• Fully revised study activities and recommended reading.
How could the most comprehensive book on bilingual education get even better? The master of writing on bilingual education, Baker, collaborates with a younger master, Wright. The blending of the clear voices of these two scholars, grounded in experience in different geographical regions is powerful. This new edition keeps what has made this book a classic in the bilingual education field, and enlarges it. It presents a vision of the present and future of bilingual education, without dismissing the understandings that we have built across the years.
- Ofelia García, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, USA
Colin Baker is Emeritus Professor at Bangor University, UK. He is the author of research publications, books for parents and an encyclopedia, all on the subject of bilingualism, as well as the 5 previous editions of this textbook. He is the former co-editor of the Bilingual Education and Bilingualism books series for Multilingual Matters.
Wayne E. Wright is Professor and Barbara I. Cook Chair of Literacy and Language, Purdue University, USA. He has published extensively on bilingual education and bilingualism, and is the co-editor of the Journal of Language, Identity, and Education and the Bilingual Education and Bilingualism book series for Multilingual Matters.